Search An Art Piece a Day...

Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Hello February





February 3, 2010
Well, I am happy to be back on the blog and kicking off February. I am a little late again but there has been a lot going on. On monday evening, our little ferret Harvey started to get sick. He was very tired an unobservant, which is very odd for a ferret. The next morning I woke up to him whimpering. The poor little guy was trying to go to the bathroom but nothing was happening. He was getting worse and worse by the hour, eventually looking as if he was going to die at any moment. We took him to the vet at about 10:00 am and they rushed him into the back to put him on fluids and some heating bags. His temp was dangerously low and he was completely dehydrated. A few possibilities about what could be causing this were talked about. Everything from him swallowing something that got stuck to a common disease ferrets can get that needs emergency surgery. Simon and I left him in the hospital to get the immediate treatment he needed and went home to talk things over. If he did need surgery it was going to cost us another $600-$800 on top of the current bill. We just couldn't do that. It was heartbreaking to me, but that was way over any amount we were able to spend. When we picked him up he wasn't much better. We looked at some x-rays and were given a few meds he had already started taking during his stay. We were told that if he wasn't any better by
 morning, we would probably have to put him down. Once we were
 home he went straight to "his" corner and struggled to go to the bathroom again. He did and out came a piece of cork. Idiot ferret... eating cork. Well after that he went again about 4 times, started drinking and eating, and went back to sleep. By this morning, he almost seemed back to normal. You can tell he is still tired, and we are going to be continuing his meds, but I am so happy to see his continuing recovery! 
This was the most stressful thing that has happened the past few days, but not the only thing. At some point yesterday evening I started to feel sick. By the time Simon and I were going to bed I had a full blown fever, aches, and a sore throat. I was able to get to sleep, but I woke up this morning with all the same symptoms. I wasn't able to go to school today because of it, and didn't have the teacher's e-mail or number to call and get my absent excused. Ughh. Such a pain. Hopefully she will have some mercy on me and allow me to make up my critique I was supposed to do. I also have to get some pictures printed and take some more for my photography class, get some prints made, do my color class homework, hopefully go to my quilting class tomorrow and take care of the ferret. This was a horrible time to get sick!
Well besides all that, I posted the art for the 1st and the 2nd. The results of the poll were for me to use an owl in my painting for February 1st, so here it is. I also have some more pictures for the 2nd. I still need to do the art piece for today so I will either post it later or tomorrow. Sadly, because of the ferret emergency, the money meter for our trip has gone up. His final bill was $262 which came out of that savings. We do have our little friend still though, so its worth it! Thank you to everyone for your support. I hope you like the new design for the blog. Don't forget to take a look at the gallery at foundmyself.com/gallery/nikkiandsimon . See you soon. 

1 comment:

  1. Hi! I just came across your owl on foundmyself and loved it, so i followed the link here and was very excited to see you were also a student. Your plan is pretty inspiring, and i'm enjoying a lot of your work so far.

    Just a hello and a good job!

    ReplyDelete