Search An Art Piece a Day...

Friday, January 1, 2010

Hanging in a Monkey Suit



January 1st, 2010

Well I am off! This is my first submission for the challenge, a monkey in a space suite. It took me a long time to figure out what I wanted to do today. I felt a lot of pressure since this was the first piece of art I would do for the year. I played around with some things I had in progress, made a few sketches of a series I wanted to start, but in the end I chose this fun, multi media...thing. I chose it because it has been an idea I have wanted to try for a long time and it was fun. I have done a couple pieces in the same style, and have enjoyed the process as well as the product so, well, why not?
Hanging in a Monkey Suit was done on a stretched canvas that was painted a basic white. Bits and pieces of the original half-painting showed through as I tried to spread the acrylic evenly across the surface. I then collaged it with pieces of white, blue, and red scraps from an old vogue magazine I found in the bathroom. Models heads were mercilessly ripped from their high fashion bodies as I found the colors I needed.  With paste covered fingers, I Finally sketched out the image with sharpie, as well as painted the face and the atmosphere around the drawing. I still can't decide weather or not I did too much. Too late if I did I guess. The whole process took me about four hours.... not too bad and a lot of fun!
This new mixed media art piece will be the first one from this year in Simon and I's Help!Shop. The Help!Shop is an idea we came up with to help fund our trip to Europe. It is an online gallery of things I have made, and everything is for sale. All that is in there is priced to sell, so we have things from a $4.00 single, custom designed greeting card to a $200.00 original piece of artwork. During this years challenge, I will price the daily art even lower, since Simon and I will need all of our funding by the end of the year. Please take a look at our gallery on either my facebook.com photos or on our gallery from foundmyself.com which you can reach at http://www.foundmyself.com/gallery/NikkiandSimon .
Thank you for taking a look at my progress so far and don't forget to take a look tomorrow to check out what I have created. Happy New Year, Au revoir!



No comments:

Post a Comment